Saturday, September 01, 2007

Take the Elevator to Space?





I was reading a story the other day about how there is planning to make an elevator into space. If it works you won't need space shuttles or anything else to get to a space station, just simply hop on and push the button. It sounds fascinating and I'm sure lot's of folks would love to try it but somehow that takes all the fun out of the trip.

I know the destination is the idea when taking any sort of trip but I want the journey to be part of it as well. I don't feel like I'm in an incredibly tall hotel or office tower as I zoom into space nor do I want to be in a glass elevator and see just high up I'm going. Maybe I grew up when space travel was still Buck Rogers and Star Wars and I watched the beginning of the space shuttle odyssey but I wanna blast off and roar through the sky and into space. Riding a quiet elevator with "elevator" music into space sounds wimpy.



Perhaps I will be interested when there is more to do than just sit or stand there until you arrive at the space station.



So what do you think about this? Would you do it? Would you ride an elevator into space?

No comments: