Monday, September 17, 2007

Can I Have Your Autograph?

This is what I love about my incredible city....check this out...


Native Nashvillian, Jackson Miller, gives his perspective on something that I have always found really endearing about our fair city…

I think that the residents of Nashville may be the least star-struck people on the planet. In Nashville, famous people are no big deal. It is neat to see someone famous, but I don’t know any Nashville natives that ask strangers for autographs or pictures. It is cool to see someone famous and all, but I am not going to go out of my way to say hi. Sure, if I am standing next to someone in line I will say hi if I recognize them and am fond of their work. More often than not I don’t even realize who it was until much later. I think it is just ingrained in my psyche that it is not a big deal.

This also reminds me of the whole Martina McBride debacle over at Suburban Turmoil last week. Yeah, they have fame, fortune, and talent (for the most part), but they have the same problems and human frailties that we all do. Um, and the reason it reminded me of Martina, is that I was in line with her at Wal-Mart a few years back and she was buying a 12-roll industrial package of toilet paper. Just a regular human being like me whose gotta schlep out to buy some TP. I hadn’t thought about that until last week’s, er, bathroom incident.
But I digress…
Anyway, I think it is great that our celebs can hang out and just be themselves without being harassed.

Of course, for those who simply can’t keep their enthusiasm under control, he has a great idea…
I think that the proper response to seeing someone famous should be a question on the drivers license test. If you want to live her(e) you gotta know how to act.

If you were to run into one of your most beloved celebrities at the store, a restaurant, etc., how would you handle it? Would you engage them?

No comments: