Thursday, January 08, 2009

Lou, the Tennessee mule, has become an internet success


A McMinnville woman lost everything when her home caught fire on New Year's Day.

But Jolene Solomon is lucky to be alive.

She escaped the blaze after hearing a fire alarm unlike any other.

"I lost it all. Everything," she said.

During the interview, she refused to look at the damage because the wounds are too fresh.
So is the nightmare.

"Scared me to death, umm hmm. I never been so scared in all my life," she said.

Had it not been for a friend, Solomon may have lost her life.

"And I seen Lou come from the barn running," she said.

Her pet mule named Lou sounded an alarm.

"And she came up and I seen her shaking her head and going on," she said, mimicking the animal's cry.

She said Lou was "throwing her head back and everything."

Solomon ran outside to see what was wrong.

When she stepped out the door, "You know when I looked around the side of the house that's where the smoke was coming from. And a fire blazing out just like it was wide open."

She called 911. As she waited for firefighters, the only home she has ever lived in burned to the ground.

If Lou wasn't looking out for her, Solomon wonders if she'd be around to share her story.
"I'm lucky," she said.

Lucky for a friendship that may have saved her life.

"I don't know what I'd do without Lou. I been blessed," she said.

Her father bought Lou and her sister Blue years ago to help work on the family farm. Blue passed away six years ago.

Solomon said it took Lou months to get over the loss of her sister. For now, Jolene Solomon is staying with family. She plans to rebuild her home, but she's not sure when construction will start.

This news is from News channel 5 in Nashville, Tn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That poor mule is very badly underweight, is there a fund set up to get him some feed since he saved that womand life??