Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Stress of Preparing for a Reining Horse Show



I have a horse that is no longer eligible for the aged events. Translation=he is well trained and show smart, also is likely to have some arthritic changes taking place from years of hard work. He takes a different kind of preparation than the futurity and derby horses. Consistency is still key, but diversity in schooling is what keeps him fresh minded and fit. I liken it to cross training in human athletes.
~
He has to stay fit enough so that I don't hurt him warming up and showing, but not so fit that it will take hours of loping to take the edge off. I don't want him sour, sore, pin eared, and swishy tailed but I also don't want him too fresh and "big" when he is in the pen.
~
First I find the date when the competition occurs, then I track backwards to the current date. From there I can pencil in work sessions on my calendar in three or four day rotations to take me through the show. I seldom do circling, turn arounds, and stopping in one session on a year round basis-but I WILL have to do so as the competition nears.
~
Next, I check my bank balance to be sure that I have budgeted funds for the trip. By this time, I am generally exhausted thinking about how I am going to pull this off and I could easily be talked out of going. Instead, I will have a glass of wine, get a good night's sleep and attack the organizing effort in the morning.
~
Read the full post at The Practical Guide to Reining blog.

No comments: