Friday, April 20, 2007

How The Airlines Are Run

Working in the hospitality industry for a good many years now I have noticed how the airlines run their businesses and it surprises me they are able to continue the same way with no changes in the service.

After the recent outbreak of people being stuck on jets for hours and hours there has been another call for change within the airlines. I have seen this type of thing happen many times and normally they promise a fix after a short "study" of the problem. It seems like this gives them type to get past all the media hype and eventually people go back to business as usual and so do the airlines.

I don't know of any other industry that could continue to lose the property of its customers, delay or cancel services or keep you in an area and not have to let you out. If the hotel industry ran like that, we would be out of business in no time and probably have lawsuits like crazy.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging lawsuits against the airlines because I don't blame them for not trying to fly in bad weather and I sure don't want to fly in a jet that needs some work done on it.

The things that get me are not with the flight crews or having to pull a plane out of rotation. It is the overbooking, lost luggage or the bag getting broken or torn and the airlines try to say that it wasn't their fault.

If UPS, FED-EX and those types of guys can keep track of the amount of boxes and packages they get each day than you would think the airlines could work on their system and make improvements.

Would I fly out today if I could? Yes...Do I hate the airlines? No, I just wish they would improve some of their practices.

1 comment:

Sam Davidson said...

Well said. Couldn't agree more.