Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Renaming I-40?

A Nashville Metro Councilman wants to rename Interstate 40 in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Okay, now listen....Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man. I can't even begin to fathom doing what he did and went through during his life. All to make a better life for everyone in our nation. That is why he has streets named after him in every city. That is why we have a holiday to honor him.

My thoughts on renaming I-40? Don't do it and here is why...I-40 is much like Route 66 and the great passage ways around the country. The are a huge part of what makes us so great and fun to explore. Don't change that, keep it just the way it is and honor Dr. King with the holiday and streets in each city.

Leave I-40 to us...the explorers, the wanderers and adventurers. We want to enjoy it with no political name on it or anything else. We want it just the way it is, a number without having to see it as more than a magical place to drive.

Save the highways the way the are because they are as much a part of our history as anyone or anything.

Now, let's hit the road, Jack.

No comments: